31 October 2012
30 October 2012
26 October 2012
23 October 2012
22 October 2012
21 October 2012
20 October 2012
19 October 2012
16 October 2012
Su Wu of I'm Revolting curates an amazing swag of stuff!
WHERE: Creatures of Comfort LA, 7971 Melrose Avenue, Los Angeles, CA
WHEN: October 20 to November 10, 2012.
OPENING RECEPTION: 5-8 p.m., Oct. 20
- Jack Craig // Broken board tables
- Jonathan Cross // Geodesic salt- and soda-fired pottery
- Ilana Kohn // Marbled silk shawls and scarves
- Kirsten Perry // Oddball lockets
- Julie Hung // Stackable ceramic bangles
- David Neale // Handmade combs and bracelets
- Haruhi Okubo // Freeform tapestry pieces
- Doug Johnston // Coiled rope hanging lights and sculptural baskets
- Mimi Jung // Pom pom eyeballs and weavings
- Morie Nishimura // Brass folding mirrors
- Joanna Williams // Loopy, textured rugs
- Brent Paul Pearson // Kaleidoscope glasses
- Elyse Graham // Dipped resin geodes
10 October 2012
9 October 2012
Black Coffee: check
Hey this hexagonal tumbler fits beside my bench anvil...
Hmm, lets get some more symmetry; reorganise pliers from big to small...
("always be Knolling" as Tom Sachs would say)
Take a photo... post on blog...
OK, enough procrastination already!!
8 October 2012
Still with charcoal hands.
Folks say things are going "pear-shaped" (meaning wrong, -but I love pear shapes...) but I say things are going "kite-shaped"- sometimes when you forge, the sides get skewed, or kite shaped, this is undesirable, but not to worry, you just need to keep an eye on this and correct in the early stages.
5 October 2012
3 October 2012
2 October 2012
This comb has a forged dip on both sides- I did this after the tines were cut, so it was tricky to control the displacement of the metal without contorting the straight tines.
A different methodology would be wiser. ( forge first, then cut?)
But I'm feeling my way.
Possibly this form and texture could have been achieved more easily by casting techniques, but this thing is all made with saws and hammers folks.
Perhaps I'll make a silver version if anyone wants one.
I like this one, it feels really good in the hand.
It's asking you to take it on a long journey.