22 August 2012

Foal Pendant

 'Foal' pendant in 18k gold. He gets a bit patchy from the flames, kind of like a cool Indian horse...




But then he gets a wash in warm citric, and the lustre of the gold really glows.
Ive used those over-sized rings to articulate the legs, so's he can gambol and gallop. They're pretty clunky- to give that sort of appealing awkwardness.
I made a special stamp for the eye, and to make the mane and tail details, I get an old jeweller's file and strike its pattern on with a hammer!
I try to make it really basic and gutsy. Blobs of solder are visible- there's no erasure of the processes.
I think this way of working is risky- it can turn out too grungy, or just unskilled... but if I can master it, I believe it to be the best, most expressive and appealing.
Working with figurative subjects is risky too- its like a tightrope where you can fall off into twee-ness really easily. Sometimes I do get it right. Cute, but slightly gnarly too.
Now available at Pieces Of Eight in Melbourne town.

5 comments:

  1. Love it! And I'll take an Indian pony too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful! is it for sale? or one of a kind? I love it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to every one for your interest and enquiries for this item.
    I will put it up for sale on the Golden Smith Shop, until then you can order one (or two!)
    directly by email;
    Price:
    18k solid yellow gold: US$800

    Look out for 9k and Fine Silver versions-coming soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they are called Pinto ponies. So maybe it's a Pinto pendant.

    ReplyDelete