2 August 2012

Behind the scenes



The master plan! A good 50% of ideas don't make it into an exhibition, mainly because of time constraints... it would be great to have about 3 assistants. 


This fuzzy photo was taken in the dark- its a red hot brass Moth. I was heating up the Moth brooch to colour the brass a deep brown-black. Turning out the lights helps to show the temperature- bringing it up to an even red-hot will ensure an even colouring. The spots and antennae are pure silver, which will go white when heated, so a nice contrast to the brown brass ( see finished piece in previous post). The tricky thing is that the brooch fittings (pin hinge and roll-catch) on the reverse are soldered on, and I don't want them to melt off when I'm heating this up to red hot. I painted them with iron oxide (rust!) paste, this prevents the solder from flowing ("anti-flux"? See previous post all about flux) Its very touch-and-go! But went really well.


I really wanted to make some combs this year- the subject for a whole post for sure- and I hope to make a full vid of the process- but just a taste for now. Dougal Haslem was my sawyer ( thanks Doug!)- cutting out the slots for the tines (or teeth) from stock aluminium on a band saw. Then I rounded out each tine with a chisel, treating the aluminium more like wood. (This is shown in the video above.) The patterning is a really primitive form of 'wriggle-work'; a sharp chisel or graver is walked across the surface, leaving a zig-zag pattern. Here Ive specially made a toothed tool to create stripes. (The pattern thus self-referencing the teeth of the comb itself.)
My intention was to make a fully-functional comb, not just a precious collector's item- I want to give you real accoutrements. An inspiration for this project was a comb fashioned by Yona Dickmann- an Auschwitz survivor- an incredible object- very humble, but so tenacious of life.

Look out for more combs in this series, with different patterns, coming soon.

Baby Spoon! 
Pure Silver- no copper content, safe for bubs.
My little Joseph ( tho' not a baby anymore...) saw this and was delighted; "Ahhh!!"

New 'Pea Pod' pendants.
=Little families.
Left: 22k Gold and Turquoise
Right: Gold-plated brass

And a new version of 'The Sea' ring.
This one is stamped rather than cast, and is really comfortable.
I still get many requests for the previous version of this ring- yes I can still make those too!

More pics to follow of the wall hangings...
Thanks to everyone who came down for the opening- lovely to meet some new folks and put faces to names too!
Special thanks to Melanie Katsalidis, Pieces of Eight Director, for her hospitality and graciousness.

2 comments:

  1. Iron oxide as an anti flux. I never would have thought.
    In the pottery world, Ferrous oxide (iron II oxide)is used as a powerful flux in a reducing atmosphere, and Ferric Oxide is only used as a colourant. I learned something new today

    ReplyDelete